Criteria for ICAO STEB Security Bags
The tamper evident STEBs Tamper Evident Bags for duty free purposes conform to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) guidelines for security controls on Liquids, Aerosols and Gels (LAGs). We have provided an explanation of the ICAO requirements for a tamper evident bag manufacturer to comply with for the product to qualify as a STEBS bag.
Definition of LAGs
Where all documentation refers to the term LAGs, they are referring to Liquids, Aerosols and Gels that you purchase from the retail shops at airport duty-free zones. LAG restrictions are also applicable but not limited to: water and other drinks, soups, syrups, jams, stews, sauces and pastes; foods in sauces or containing a high liquid content; creams, lotions, cosmetics and oils; perfumes; sprays; gels including hair and shower gels; contents of pressurized containers (e.g. aerosols), including shaving foam, other foam and deodorants; pastes including toothpaste; liquid-solid mixtures; mascara; lip gloss or lip balm; and any items of similar consistency at room temperature.
Technical specifications for security tamper-evident bags (STEBS)
The criteria for a bag to qualify as security tamper evident bags is quite specific. The technical specifications are broken down in to 6 categories. These include the material to manufacture the bag, the bag closure, the borders of the bag, the message on the bag and the identification features. We have detailed these below for your reference. If the bags are not made to the technical specifications, the bag will not comply with ICAO requirements.
Security Tamper Evident Bags materials to be used.
– Transparent (high impact low density polyethylene (LDPE) or equivalent).
– Recyclable and environment-friendly products if possible; and
– minimum of 50 microns thickness.
On the top face (front) of the STEB
– red tamper evident tape (minimum 30 mm tape with 40 mm release liner);
– high tack pressure sensitive self-adhesive; and
– integral security device/hidden graphic to show if tampered with.
– side and bottom weld be no less than 15 mm width in red; and
– printed border of minimum 5 mm with “DO NOT OPEN”, airport name, or any other continuous message or design which may bleed over the edge of the bag. (Optional – integral security device/hidden graphic to show if borders are tampered with.)